Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. My sweet Alpha...

Unhappy R.I.P. My sweet Alpha...

Dear friends - I come back with a heavy heart, to let you know that I finally had to let my dear boy cross the Rainbow Bridge on May 18th at 12:45pm. Alpha Romeo had turned 12 in December, and I knew this year was his last. I struggled when to let him go, and friends assured me that he would let me know... and he did Tuesday morning.

He was born in 1997 with hip dysplasia, and thankfully that was the only real illness (other than hypothyroidism) until the age of almost 10. He showed the symptoms of Cushings for about 6 months before I could get a vet to actually listen to me -- he was finally diagnosed in December 2008, after an ultrasound and xray showed the tumor, along with the heart murmur. He'd been on L-thyroxine, Selegiline and Enalapril since then.

About six months ago, the symptoms got worse, including cataracts, dementia, circling, confusion, change in bowel movements, triple the water consumption, and more.

Full blindness came on suddenly about 5 days ago. He couldn't find the dog door, urinated in the kitchen, and outside started circling frantically crying out in fear. He had been falling down (losing back leg strength), missing the steps, and I knew he needed his dignity back.

He went from a healthy 75 lbs. down to 62 lbs. The quality of life was gone.

On Tuesday morning, I had not slept the entire night, as I heard him for 10 hours circling, banging into walls, crying out, panting, and distressed. When I finally got out of bed, his head was shaking with some sort of seizure, which went on for about an hour.

I knew it was time. He was the MOST AMAZING DOG... incredibly loving. Sweet, devoted, greeted me with his squeaky ball at the door every day. I held him as he was born, rubbing him with a towel for his first breath, and I held his paw and kissed his beautiful nose as his heart stopped beating.

I want you all to know that he was on this planet and blessed my life like you can't imagine!

Alpha Romeo was the only male dog I've ever had. I say that he was a Sheprador (Shepherd/Labrador). I loved him more deeply than I've ever loved a dog. My heart is broken.

I put two dog tributes on Youtube, if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arGmxOlGjBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwV4dhB3c6U

I will be forever Alpha's mom.

Unhappy Re: R.I.P. My sweet Alpha...

I am so sorry. I lost my sweet Bubba last month. He was a Yorkshire Terrier. This dog held a place in my heart that will never be replaced. He was my family and my friend. As I write whis, I am crying so hard that I can barely see the screen. By heart is broken and it will never be the same. Please pray for me as I am praying for you. A friend told me of an old Indian saying: All animals that you have loved and taken care of will meet you at the gates of Heaven and enter with you when your time comes. This eased my heart and mind and I hope that it does the same for you. God Bless Our Babies That Have Gone On Before Us. WE WILL SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN!! Thank You.

Default Re: R.I.P. My sweet Alpha...

For Alpha's Mom and Karen, too ~

I am deeply sorry for your losses. I know there are no words to take away the pain. But I hope that it may bring some small measure of comfort to know that all who come here will understand how much your sweet furbabies meant to you (and still do), and how profoundly they shaped your lives. Thank you both for allowing us the privilege of supporting you as you honor the lives and spirits of Alpha and Bubba. And we join you in their honor and remembrance.

Alpha's Mom, please continue to remain with us, and keep posting! I know that there will be so many tough minutes, hours, and days ahead. We will be here, and we will remain with you -- no matter what you are feeling or wanting to say. A little later on today, I will be visiting your YouTube tributes. Without having yet seen them, I am still certain that your love for Alpha will come shining through.

And Karen, if you wish, please do go ahead and start a new thread of your own here for Bubba. I would love to know more about your lives together, if you have any special thoughts or memories that you are willing or able to share with us now. I know it can be very difficult to write, sometimes. But it also can bring some comfort, too, when you least expect it...

Thank you both again for permitting us to join you in honoring Alpha and Bubba. Many (((hugs))) in loving memory of these two sweet spirits.

Marianne (forever Barkis' and Peg' and Luna's Mom)

What wonderful tributes to your life with your dogs - very moving and beautiful I am so very sorry for your loss of Alpha - he sounds like a wonderful loyal friend.

Love and hugs,
    Ellen, Sweet Angel Casey, Desi and Oreo

I am very sorry for your loss. I have tears streaming because of the obvious love beween you and Alpha. You were both very lucky to have each other.

Alpha is in a very special place watching over you.

Rest In Peace sweet boy.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Alpha.
    Luv,
    Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

My thoughts are with you.

Carol

I am so sorry. You made the hard decision for the right reason and Alpha is now free from pain. Godspeed Alpha.

Jenny

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

My heart is with you and I am so very sorry. I know this decision is on one hand not easy to make as it truly breaks your heart. On the other, it is the promise we make to them when they become a part of our lives and is the most loving decision, to free them from pain.

Thank you for sharing your videos with us, very wonderful to see a little girl grow up with doggies.

Always in loving memory of your Alpha.
    (((hugs)))
    Terry

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Alpha. Please know that we are holding you in our hearts and prayers.

Shelba and Suni