Page 59 of 562 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159559 ... LastLast

Thread: Zoe By My Side- Our Journey with Cushings

Default Re: My Zoe, Lhasa Apso, diagnosed with Cushing's

Dear Addy
    The licking is probably the Cushing. Apollo started licking one paw so much the hair is off and I had to squeeze the ingrown hairs out of it.
    The white pimple on Zoe's tail is part of the Cushing skin problems, it could either be the calcium deposits or the ingrown hair. Apollo has them all over his belly and his tail. He also has dark skin batches. I hate it.
    Wish I could be more help.
    Hugs Sonja and Apollo

Does Zoe do a lot of licking? Hannah has always done some licking (and we think she has some summer allergies) but she has licked like crazy all winter. It's mostly her feet (front and back, but mostly front), but she also licks/bites her hips and back legs a bit. She is kind of an anxious dog, so my vet thinks it is partly a mental thing. I just feel like it has increased. She will go at it like crazy on her front feet (both the top and bottom of them) for about 30 min., but then she can stop and not do it again for hours. The licking/biting of the back feet is a bit newer. Just curious if you are seeing something similar.

Julie & Hannah

Hi Addy-
    Palmer licked his feet horribly in his last year or two.....we were told it was an allergy. They gave us Vistaril to give him and it calmed it down.....to where it stopped. We stopped the Vistaril and everything was still okay. Months later it came back up and we did the same thing. He licked his paws so badly that they were inflamed. You could try a children's Benadryl. That's what we gave Bailey on the way home, once she got car sick. We used the liquid and gave her just a capful or so.
    I'm sorry you're experiencing so many symptoms. Palmer also developed bumps. Peaches (our earlier dog) got those bumps as she got older as well. They aren't anything bad.....just bumps.
    Love,
    Susan
    Last edited by Bailey's Mom; 04-23-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: clarification

Thank you Susan,

How long did it take for the benadryl to work? One day, a week? Did you give it with the melatonin? My concern is benadryl makes her tired and she has all that melatonin in her. I tried an antihistamine last Summer for 2 days when she was not on full dose yet of melatonin, it did nothing.

I really think it is her cortisol, I really do.

Love,
    Addy

Hello There Miss Addy,

I do not remember Maddie licking her paws more than usual as much as she would lick the floor and rugs which she didn't do before the Cushings. She developed rough spots/bumps on the lower back of one of one of her hind legs--looked like a callous, but in a place she wouldn't normally have one. I remember the vet was a little stumped on that one and just said some dogs get it some don't--I really think she didn't have a clue what it was--another "they are getting older and this is part of it".... I hated that answer!!! She also had the little blackhead looking bumps or like you just shaved some dark hairs look on her belly in spots--didn't have those either before CD.

I still have the meds when you are ready. Do you think yogurt might work if they seem like hot spots? Just a thought of going natural. I am not sure it will not make her colitis flare up though.

Have a Happy Easter!! ((HUG))
    Last edited by marie adams; 04-23-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Marie, My Angel Girl Maddie, and Now Miss Ella

Hi Addy-
    You may be right about it being the cortisol. I don't know about that. I was just offering a similar circumstance and how we treated it. I do not think Palmer was taking Melatonin then. I think the Melatonin was near the end.....and the itching/chewing was 18 mos - 12 mos earlier. It took probably 3-5 days before it took effect. Then we kept her on it for another good two weeks.
    Take care, gal-
    Love & hug-
    Susan

Dear Addy
    Like you , Apollo started the licking on one front paw, the hair is almost gone there, the skin is very pink. I squeezed out pus like ingrown hairs. I think you are right about Zoe's licking if she didn't do before, then it is the cushings.
    I have a lot to research on Apollo's elevated sex hormones on what to do now.
    Hugs Sonja and Apollo

Hey Best Friend,

I sent you some emails

Love,
    Addy

Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    Hey Best Friend,

I sent you some emails

Love,
    Addy
    Who....me???

Love
    Susan

(just kidding)

Do you want some emails Susan? I'll see what I can do
    Thanks for the info on the antihistimine. Maybe I did not give it enough time last summer.

How is that Little Miss Bailey? Did she get an Easter basket? Zoe was trying to get at all the plastic eggs I hid in the yard for our youngest grand daughter. Boy, she could smell that candy right through the plastic eggs!!!!

Cushings sure turns them into a Hoover vacuum cleaner

Love,
    Addy