Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bestest Boy

Default My Bestest Boy

Although I can hardly believe it is true, on Monday it will be five years since we released Barkis (8-10-04). In some ways it seems like such a short time. In other ways, so much has happened between then and now. This will be the third tribute that I have written for my boy. The first was posted on the old "ezboard" and was lost to a cruel hacker. The second was lost along with the closure of our former home, cc.net. But here I am again, because Barkis deserves to be remembered and honored. He was my bestest boy, and always will remain so in my heart.

In writing my first two tributes, I remember how important it felt to me that the words should be "just right." There was a healing that came with putting my thoughts into sentences. But now, with the passage of time, the words are starting to drift away and what seems most important to me are simply the feelings themselves. How dear he was to me, and how special.

Our lives are now filled with the joy of our two girls, Peg and Luna. They would never have come to us had it not been for our loss of Barkis. So that is the good that came out of our sorrow. And for the most part, my sad memories are outnumbered by the sweet and happy ones. Especially on his birthdays, when I remember how he looked as a puppy and how excited we were when we saw him for the very first time. He was our little "rocket" dog, so healthy and so happy and so proud and so beautiful.

But when the first of August rolls around, it is hard for my memories not to drift back to that final weekend when he was failing. The worry and the tears. And the last walks and hugs, and the final rides in his beloved Barkmobile. We were so lucky that we had the chance to tell him how much we loved him. But it was so hard to let him go. I had not known that it could hurt so much, and that I would miss him so deeply.

At some point over the next few days, I will pick up his collar and put it in my pocket. And I'll head over to his favorite lake and walk around it just like we did so many times together. And I'll call his name, and in my mind's eye, I'll see him running to me once again, so healthy and so happy. Just me and my bestest boy, together again and always.

We have a secret, you and I
    that no one else shall know,
    for who but I can see you lie
    each night in fire glow?
    And who but I can reach my hand
    before we go to bed
    and feel the living warmth of you
    and touch your silken head?
    And only I walk woodland paths
    and see ahead of me,
    your small form racing with the wind
    so young again, and free.
    And only I can see you swim
    in every brook I pass
    and when I call, no one but I
    can see the bending grass.

Author Unknown

In loving memory of my sweet Barkis, today and everyday ~
    Marianne

Default Re: My Bestest Boy

Marianne,

Your tribute to your sweet Barkis is beautiful and it is easy for one to see how special he was and how much he was loved, thank you for sharing your story with us.

I am glad to see that the happy and sweet times have outnumbered the sad ones...so I guess the adage is true that time heals all wounds...but I guess it does not close them entirely...so when you decide to take that walk with Barkis's collar in your pocket, I pray that Mother Nature gives you the most grand, gorgeous day she can muster for your special day with your sweet Barkis.

Love and hugs.
    Lori

Marianne,
    I'm glad you keep his memory alive for us and have posted this tribute to Barkis. We'll be walking with you on that walk around the lake....
    Jo-Ann & Lady

Marianne,

Your tribute to Barkis warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes. I did not have the pleasure of becoming acquainted with your little "rocket dog" but I did have an opportunity to view his pictures at our former home.

Holding his collar, speaking his name and walking with him in spirit around the lake - what a beautiful way to honor and remember your bestest boy!

Many Hugs,
    Louise

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Oh Marianne,

Still the tears are there and I know the warmth of the memories are glowing strong and also making you smile. It does not matter how long it has been because the bond you have with him will be forever and there is always a very special place in your heart only for him. He is watching over you two and your girls.

The poem is one of my favorites and brings everything home. Barkis is with you and always will be walking on your walks, jumping in the lake and running through the tall grass and the soft breeze that surrounds you are his kisses.

My heart and tears are with you my friend
    Always In Loving Memory of a very special boy,
    T.

Marianne,
    Such a beautiful tribute to Barkis. Love never dies, memories live forever.
    Jenny

Dear Marianne,

How beautiful and touching. Words won't come, but emotion is overwhelming as I read your words about precious Barkis. We who knew him loved him dearly and miss him so much still.

God bless you, my friend, and may peace and wonderful memories dwell in your heart.

Lots of love...Shelba and Suni

Dear Marianne,

Thank you for bringing Barkis to our new home. It's where your Bestest Boy belongs and I am honored to share in your memories of him.

The "right" words and sentence structures aren't important when love is guiding the heart and hand because what you feel comes shining through regardless. Your never-ending love for Barkis is obvious in every key-stroke, making this tribute "just right".

When you take your walk around the lake, know that many souls are with you - standing quietly, offering love and support should you need it, our silent tears falling with yours.

Hugs to you, my friend,
    Leslie and the girls
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Marianne,

Oh, that was just beautiful. Anyone reading it will surely feel the love you shared with your special boy. Isn't it grand that we get that opportunity? I am smiling and tearing with the memories of my precious Lucy right now. Hardly seems possible it's been seven months.

Lyn
    Lyn and Lucy (aka Boston Retriever 1/97-1/09)

Dear Marianne and Barkis,

You are both joined through the ages by your devotion to each other.

What a lucky pair you are.

Scott