Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vetoryl tablets

Default vetoryl tablets

My dog has been diagnosed with Vetoryl tablets. They are costing me £120 for 30 tablets per month. I am insured fortunatly but what I need to ask is why oh why are they so expensive.
    If I had not got insurance my poor dog would die, so how does the average Joe in the street manage to pay for them. If they can;t then the dog suffers.
    I hope I make sence!

Default Re: vetoryl tablets

Hello and welcome!

From what you have written, I am guessing that you live in the U.K. First off, we would love to know more about your dog and how your dog is doing on the Vetoryl treatment. We do have many other members here who are using Vetoryl (trilostane) with success, so I hope that your dog is doing well, too!

As to the expense...right now, Vetoryl is the only brandname form of veterinary trilostane that is sold anywhere in the world. The distribution rights are owned by a company named Dechra, which is headquartered there in the U.K. as well. Here in the U.S., pharmaceutical regulations may be somewhat different than they are there in the U.K. But here, pharmaceutical manufacturers who produce new drugs that receive governmental approval (through the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or "FDA") are allowed to market them without competition for a specific period of time. The theory behind this is to allow them to recover their costs associated with the years of research, development, and testing that went into forumulating the drug (and to encourage them to keep developing other new drugs). However, at the end of that time period, other approved drug manufacturers are permitted to market competitive "generic" copies of the brandname drug, and this usually results in a reduction in price. Right now in the U.S., though, we are still within that time period in which Dechra has exclusive marketing rights.

One current lower-priced alternative here in the U.S. is the option to purchase "compounded" trilostane from individual pharmacies (not drug manufacturers) who each prepare their own individual version of the drug. These compounding pharmacies are not selling trilostane in the exact same dosage strength as Vetoryl. And the FDA is embroiled in ongoing litigation which challenges the legality of compounded versions being sold at all unless brandname Vetoryl is used as the basis for the formulations.

Having said all this, I do not know what the comparable U.K. regulations would be. However, I do believe that there is a veterinary formulary in place in the U.K., and that veterinarians must limit their prescribing to drugs that have been placed on that formulary (such as brandname Vetoryl). I don't know whether there is also a mechanism in place whereby lower-priced generic (or compounded) forms of trilostane can ever be offered. This would be a good question to ask your vet.

Sorry for the long-winded answer, and once again -- welcome!

Marianne

Corky and I also want to welcome you.

I don't have anything to add to what Marianne has posted. Corky takes compounded Trilostane. I recently paid $90 for 180 capsules, which is a 60 day supply. When he was just getting one dose a day, I paid $25 for a 30 day supply.

Terri

Gosh I must be a loon lol Diagnosed with Vetoryl Tablets . I meant Cushings and been perscribed. My brain must be on training for somebody else

Right Sallys story is quite long. She has been through so much in the last 6 months bless her.

Sally is an 8yr old Staff I rescued from somebody 18mths ago.

Last November we had her spayed and some small little lumps which had appeared on her under carriage biopsed whilst she was having the operation.

Lumps came back as cancerous growths and two weeks later she went bk in for a mamory strip.

Over the next few weeks during xmas and the new year we were back and forward to the vets for dressings. Wounds not healing due to being spayed so they left wound open.

Anyhow at long last weeks later she was without dressings. This was February this year !!

In March I took her for her booster and was concerned, as her hair had not returned from her operation and she was drinking heaps and very lagging on her walks. Occational accident at night and scavaging through bin bags .

Relief vet took one look at her and said she looked a typical Cushings case . Back in we go for bloods which came back possitive test.

We are now on Month two of Vetoryl 120mg dose. We are now perked up loads. Drinking less. No more accidents.

The vets did offer to scan her Adrenals etc. But declined did not want to put her through this.

She is a terriffic dog. We all love her to pieces!

Second bloods told us she was stable on this dose. Next bloods will be in 3 months time.

Goodness, you and Sally have indeed been through a lot! I am so glad to hear that she is responding so well to the Vetoryl. She is a lucky girl to have been rescued by your family, and I hope that all will be smooth sailing from this point onward.

We will love it if you will continue to update us as to how Sally is doing.

Continued best wishes,
    Marianne

Hi and welcome to you and Sally!

You are an angel for adopting her and giving her such a good home! In this country (US), many folks look down on Staffords and Pits because they do not understand them - they only know the horror stories they have been told. Some don't even know they are different breeds - they look alike! I had a Pitty and she was the sweetest girl but people would be afraid of her just because of her looks and breed. Sally is a lucky girl to have you on her side!

I'm glad you found us and look forward to learning more about you both as time passes. You are off to a good start but we will be her anytime should you have a question...or just want to talk.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Question Explanation please worried!

About 6 months ago our Sally was diagnosed with Cushings. I did not want her mucked about with scans. They were offered to me but left it be.
    Sally is on Vetroyl 120mg daily
    She has had her 1st 3 months bloods done this week and they have come back on the low side. The vet is cutting the dose down after I have finished this packet of tablets, then possibly after her next bloods stopping her meds. They also want her to take a supplement to help with her joints.
    Does this mean that they can't do anymore for her and the meds are not working? I know I should have asked the vet but was scared what she was going to say
    Sally has lost some weight lately which is a good thing, due to new pup keeping her more active bless. She seems fine and full life but tires very quickly on her walks.
    Please can someone advise
    Thanks for reading. Sorry for the waffle!

Default Re: Explanation please worried!

Hi and welcome to you and Sally!

I was wondering if you could provide us with additional information about your girl, because the more we know about Sally the better our feedback will be, ok?

Could you post the results of the Cushing test/s and any abnormalities in her bloodwork. How much does Sally weigh? Is she on any other herbs/supplements/medicines?

Please know we will help you in any way we can so do not hesitate to ask us any and all questions.

Here are links with information about Trilostane/Vetoryl: Dechra's U.S. Product Insert. and Trilostane/Vetoryl Information and Resources.

Love and hugs,
    Lori

Default Re: Explanation please worried!

Hi and Welcome from me as well,

Lori has given you a good start. When is the next test?
    Sometimes if a Vetoryl dose is too high the pup's cortisol may drop below the desired range and then medication is stopped for a period of time and restarted at a lower dose. That does not mean the vet is giving up on the pup. Perhaps your vet is saying she is borderline?

Without test results we can only assume or make guesses as to what may be going on. It would be so helpful if you could post any test results.

Take a deep breath. You have come to a very special place with caring, supportive people who have gone through or are going through the Cushings journey.

Hugs,
    Addy

Mornin'!

I merged your latest post with Sally's original thread. We like to keep all the info on each pup in one place; that way it is easier to keep up with the history and look back if needed.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.