Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcinosis Cutis and Cushings (Peety has passed)

Default Re: Calcinosis Cutis and Cushings

Hi Pat and Peety: So sorry Peety is having such a bad time with the calcinosis. CoCo only has about 3 or 4 of the calcium deposits on his tail, or that is what the vet calls them. They actually look like warts. The vet prescribed the DMSO, but I have not used it since he only has a few spots. He has never even noticed them. There are lots of experienced people on this forum and the pups that have had the calcinosis did well on the Lysodren. That seems like a good idea to take Peety to the University of Gainsville. They will recommend something to help Peety. It is so awful to see your dog in pain. I am using the Vetoryl and it has lowered CoCo's cortisol, but he has lost a lot of his hair and it has not started growing back in, but maybe it will. I am sending healing thoughts your way and hope you find something to help Peety. Love, JoAnne

Trying coconut oil on Peety's calcium deposits. I have read about the wonderful properties of it and I am excited to try it. I talked to the pharmacists today and even he said no to the DMSO, but I was told that Hibiclens is also very good for cleaning and he agreed. So I have some new things that I am very hopeful about. Talking to my Vet tomorrow, I'm sure he will agree because he knows I am trying to treat as natural as possible. And since his CC got worse with the prednisone, I am also hopeful that he will not test positive for Cushing's. Since being off of the prednisone he has improved in all areas. It's possible the CC was because of the prednisone. And I have not seen the symptoms that others have spoke about. But of course we will do the test, I will just be praying alot that the results are negative for my lil guy. This part is horrible enough.

I am so glad I found this forum. Everyone has been so nice to share their experiences. It makes me feel like I have alot of really good friends that really care. Hugs to all.

Hey Pat: That sounds good. I know both of those products are used on humans, so should not hurt and hopefully will help. Peety will smell wonderful with the coconut oil. Let us know how it works. CoCo has lost so much of his shiny black hair that his skin shows through. I am thinking if I had started him on the Lysodren rather than the Vetoryl it may have helped his hair, but would have to stop the Vetoryl for 30days to change, so afraid he might have worse symptoms. Hard to figure what is best for these sweet puppies. I will be sending healing thoughts to Peety. Take care. Love, JoAnne

I just thought of this thread where one of our members has listed the supplements that she is trying in addition to the vetoryl for her baby. You might be interested in her list, even though CC is not one of the items that she is dealing with.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...&postcount=227

Hopefully the two things you have mentioned will be helpful too.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Sharlene, thanks so much for the thread. It was very helpful. Why reinvent the wheel when someone is already using it, right? I love that you just put something out there and someone has information they are willing to share. Instead of research time you can get down to the application of it. Thanks again. I am anxious to talk to my Vet today. I know that being proactive the professionals take you more serious too.

JoAnne, you mentioned CoCo was losing hair, Peety is too. I have been trying to decide if the smart thing to do would be to cut his hair short. It is more difficult to bath him then blow dry his hair. It would help me navigate the places that need more attention too. He wears a t-shirt all the time and when I take it off the hair is matted pretty good. I brush it out before bathing, but alot of it just comes out. You can see by his picture he "had" beautiful hair. Maybe I will talk to the Vet about that too. Only one time when he was much younger did he get shaved and I tell you he was so embarrassed. I promised I would never let that happen again. (I didn't do it, my X-mother-in-law did it) Anyway, we will see what today holds. Thanks guys for all the valuable input. big hugs. Peety's #1 fan

Shaving would definitely be a plus especially since it's going to get warm out. I have a friend who shaves her Pekingese every year, they've gotten over the embarrassment and seem to like the feeling afterward.

If Peety starts to feel better, you'll have your answer
    If not, it grows back.

Good luck!
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

Hello

Just wanted to share our experience with the use of Vetoryl and CC.

My Tia had it all down her back panel so we shaved her whole back from her collar to her tail. It took a good few months for her skin to clear up and start to heal with a couple of infections along the way but it did heal up completely and all her fur grew back apart from the spot on her tail which is known as a rat tail and apparently is the first sign of hormone problems (according to my IMS)

We used sudocream as an alternative to steroid spray and this did help her with the itching

Good luck with it

Mel
    Xxxxxxx

Ps - it did cause razor burn with Tia and she really didn't like the vets doing it as i think it probably hurt a bit but I do think it helped as you could get at the spots easier
    Last edited by Mel-Tia; 04-08-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Forgor something

Let us know what the vet says!

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hey Pat: Peety is so beautiful and does have beautiful hair, but you are probably right you could get to the bumps easier and it might help her itching. Let us know what the vet says. Love, JoAnne

Had a scare today. Peety and I had just finished play time, after I came home from work which we do every day. He's always so excited to see me. He wasn't out of my sight 5 minutes, and I saw him at the back door, thought he was asking to go out. When I got to him I could see his side was bleeding pretty bad. I scooped him up and examined him good. He apparently swiped his side with his back paw and opened it up. A huge scab from the Calcium was hanging off. I quickly cleaned it with Peroxide and immediately called the Vet's office to see if I could come in. My heart was in my stomach. Peety has not been on antibiotics for 2-3 weeks and I knew I really needed to get him some. And I wanted someone to look at it and reassure me. I went in and the Dr. I saw was one I hadn't seen but he quickly reviewed Peety's file and told me to continue cleaning with the Hibiclens a couple of times a day and start him back on antibiotics.

We're still a couple weeks away from the Cushing's test. But I will see my regular Vet Monday and we will talk some more.

So I was encouraged after using the hibiclens last night. He looks awful but everyday I feel like we are a day closer to really seeing some noticible improvements. The Dr. said I should use the tramadol too just to keep him calm.

Peety was funny, I've said before he doesn't know how bad he is, at the Vet's office, his tail was wagging and he was soliciting hugs from everyone like it's no big deal and of course I'm a wreck.

Other than that, I know what we are dealing with and it's pretty ugly right now, but that's okay, Peety's heart isn't ugly and that's what I love.

Hope everyone is doing good with your lil ones.

Pat Peety's #1 fan.