Thread: Standardized flaxseed hull lignans

Default Standardized flaxseed hull lignans

Hi new friends
    My name is T-bo and my moms name is Karen. I have been diagnosed with Atypical cushings. My course of treatment is to start with Melatonin and Standardized flaxseed hull lignans. My moms problem is that she cannot find the lignans from flaxseed hull, the healthfood stores seem to have lignans from the flaxseed oil. The treatment options from U of Tennessee say the oil is too low in lignans and lignans from the hull is preferable. We live in Edmonton Alberta Canada and wonder if anyone knows where we can find this. Anywhere I found on line does not ship to Canada. And cost wise I would much prefer to buy in Canada if at all possible.
    Thanks a bunch for any help you can give my mom and me
    T-bo's mom

Default Re: Standardized flaxseed hull lignans

Welcome T-bo to you & your Mom! Has your Mom tried here?

http://www.flaxhulls.com/index.html

There in the US, so not sure if they will ship to Canada, but it doesn't hurt to try.

We would love to learn more about you, the testing that was done to get your Atypical diagnosis, & how you are doing, if your Mom is willing to share with us.

We're here, if your Mom has any questions or concerns.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Hi Debbie
    Thanks so much for the information. I do have this web site and will inquire as to their shipping to Canada. The latest test T-bo had done was preformed at the university of Tennessee and it looks like it was called as Adrenal Metabolite K9 Panel. previous to this test he had everything our vet could thik of that would confirm a diagnosis of cushings. Since T-bo's only issue has been bad skin both thin and scaly sores it was very difficult to make the diagnosis. We started with a skin scrape then 2 skin biopsies, If I remember the very first was a complete geri panel since he is 12. Everything showed perfect on the blood and urine results. But the sores continued everywhere other than head and bottom half of legs. Since this all started in early Novermber, We really thought we were losing T-bo. We have a great Vet who we have been with since T-bo was a baby and she also took care of our other Bichon\ Poodle who passed away a year ago Feb. He was 16. so anyway Jennifer our vet finally asked us how we felt about sending blood to Tennessee for this special test. Since all along Jennifer felt T-bo presented as cushings because og the skin. so we got our wallets out again and agreed. The resluts came back showing increased adrenal activity as indicated for increased estradiol. so we hope to find both of these products and start T-bo right away. We have the Melatonin but still looking for the flaxseed hull Lignans. All of this aside we will once again take our wallets out for an ultrasound this coming Monday to determine the presence of an adrenal tumor. We will see from there.
    Did not mean to write a short story here, but it sure is nice to have friend who understand. I am going to contact the people you mentioned and see what they say.
    Thanks again for the ear.
    T-bo and mom

Hi T-Bo and welcome to you and your mom!

My Squirt is also Atypical but she has several elevations plus the estradiol. We have used the hulls as well as purified lignans that come in capsule form. Here are some links to some of those products:

iHerb:
    http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals...ules/4536?at=0

VitaCost:
    http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Lignan-Extract

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Flax-Seed-Lignans

There are other sties as well where you can find lignans in capsule form. The ingredient to look for the amount of the SDG - this is what is in the lignans that works with the melatonin to control Atypical. So just because it may say 70mg of lignans, there may only be 200mg of SDG. You will notice a couple of those above have 700mg of SDG or more. So you aren't limited to the hulls...just watch the SDG content.

I am glad you are both here and hope to learn much more as time goes by.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the girls - always
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Welcome to you and T.

Please post the results of the full adrenal panel from UTK.

Adrenal tumors are not the norm. An abodminal U/S is a good diagnotic for elders and most of us have done so, but I do not think it is absolutely necessary.

Scott

The Vitamin Shoppe (online or offline) is a good source for getting the 70mg lignans caps...they are a little hard to find...their prices are a tad higher, but their stock is better and they ship quickly.

Jeff