Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy, 11 year old Sheltie, 2 years w/ Cushings (Sweet Buddy has passed)

Default Buddy, 11 year old Sheltie, 2 years w/ Cushings (Sweet Buddy has passed)

Just 2 days ago we brought him to the vet ER because he was vomiting everything he ate, including water. He also had a bout of bloody diarrhea. The vet found a peach pit in his colon and was able to get it out with a barium enema. Yesterday he started to feel better, was eating like his usual self, drinking, and went on a light walk.

Today, he had several bouts of diarrhea in his cage. He is also refusing to eat or drink and acting very lethargic. Its as if he's about given up. I'm not sure what to do. He seem almost back to his usual self yesterday and today he is a whole different dog. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Buddy, 11 year old Sheltie, 2 years w/ Cushings

Hi and welcome to you and Buddy.

I have lots of questions, the answers to which will help us try to figure out what is going on with your precious Buddy but right now it is more important that you contact your vet and let him/her know what is going on. I assume that Buddy is on treatment for Cushing's and if so, you can never rule out low cortisol as the cause for Buddy's sickness. A dog who is not eating or drinking and has diarrhea can quickly dehydrate so it is important that you call your vet right away. He may need to be on IV fluids until the vet can figure out what is going on.

Glynda

Hi,

I agree with Glynda - get Buddy in to the vet asap and have his electrolytes and cortisol checked. It's also possible the pit damaged the intestines or any number of other things could be going on including simple stress colitis.

Please let us know how things are going but don't wait - get him in asap, 'k? We will be here waiting to hear what you learned and then bombard you with all those questions Glynda mentioned.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks for the replies. Buddy is not on any meds for his Cushings. However, I forgot to mention that he was prescribed Metronidazole after his visit to the ER. I also just noticed that his skin is turning really red, tongue is dark purple, I'm thinking this could be an allergic reaction to the drug or the bland food? I'm not so sure.

He was given a shot of Cerelium (sp?) for anti vomiting during the ER visit.

All the vets in my area are all booked up today but I will try to get him in ASAP tomorrow. The ER vet that treated him a couple of days ago do not start until 6pm tonight so I will give her a call then.

He just started eating some turkey and cheese and drank some water but he vomited all that out just a few mins ago.

I'll keep everybody posted on his progression. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by BaDub; 06-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Please call your vet and tell them that this is an emergency and that you need to get Buddy in. Honestly, everything you've told us does not sound good and things can get a lot worse before tomorrow.

Well right now it seems as if Buddy is starting to bounce back. His appetite came back and he finished his turkey and boiled potatoes. He even ate back up what he threw up. His energy seems to be coming back as well. He's also responding to "treat" like his usual self. Right now we're feeding him his bland dog food mixed with some Pedialyte. His eyes and belly aren't as red anymore.

I really don't know what to make of this. Could this be an adverse reaction to the Metronidazole?

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hi,

Metronidazole is a strong antibiotic and this could have added to what was happening to your boy, especially with the flushed skin and purple tongue (what did the ER say when you called to let them know?).

Has anyone mentioned pancreatitis? Especially with him still vomiting food?

Keep us posted
    Terry

Buddy's condition deteriorated really fast. We took him to the vet and there didn't seem much we could do. I like to think that he will bounce back from whatever he was going through but I couldn't live in denial for much longer. Over the past few months I can see him getting worst. I knew it was time but I didn't want to believe it.

He lived a great life, he was happy, and he was the best dog anyone can have.
    I love him so much.

I am so sorry to hear that Buddy's condition moved beyond the point that additional treatment will be able to help. Please forgive me, but I am not sure from reading your reply whether you already released Buddy during that last vet visit, or whether you know the time has now come and will be letting him go shortly. Please do return to us and let us know for certain, so that we can offer our prayers and support. We are here for Buddy, and we are here for you. If he has already passed, we will join you in honoring him. And if this is a decision that still awaits you, we will be here to offer you our comfort and our strength.

Sending many hugs to you from across the miles,
    Marianne

Sorry for not being more clear but yes Buddy has passed. I was a little emotional at the time of my last post.